Serve this super-easy appetizer to friends of all ages and all dietary preferences and you’ll quickly be collecting compliments. It’s the pleasing combination of peas, spices, and pistachios that creates the base of this Indian-inspired starter, while its uniqueness comes from the finishing splash of pomegranate syrup. Serve the dip with toasted whole grain pita wedges or whole grain crackers.
Pistachios contain beneficial monounsaturated fats that health studies have shown to be valuable in lowering cholesterol, especially LDL cholesterol. Replace other dietary fat, especially foods high in saturated fats, with 1.5 to 2 ounces of pistachios a day to result in lower cholesterol. Pair the daily dose of pistachios with exercise and find even better results.
Yield: 5 to 6 servings
1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup or pomegranate molasses
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Combine the peas, pistachios, water, lemon juice, salt, curry powder, and cayenne in the food processor and process until creamy.
- Transfer to a 1-quart saucepan and gently heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly warmed but not boiling.
- Spoon into an attractive serving bowl and lightly drizzle the top with the pomegranate syrup.