Electric shock occurs when an electric current flows through the body. The human body is made up of 60% to 70% water. This makes it a good conductor of electricity. Burns, damage to internal organs, heart rhythm problems, and death can result from electric shock.
Signs & Symptoms
A small child who bites or sucks on an electric cord can have a facial injury or distinct burn around the rim of the mouth.
Electric Shock can cause tissue damage under the skin's surface.
Contact with electricity from a high-voltage wire or being struck by lightning needs emergency medical care. Contact with electricity from a low-voltage current needs emergency medical care if any signs or symptoms listed above are present. A person who does not have any symptoms should still see a doctor to check for possible internal injuries.
To Avoid Being Harmed by Lightning
Questions to Ask
Do any of these problems occur?
(Note: Give first aid for burns as needed. See below)
Has an electric shock gone through the body in such a way that it might have passed through the center of the chest? Or, are any signs and symptoms of electric shock listed above present?
After having an electric shock, are any of these problems present?
Self-Care / First Aid
Beware! Do not put yourself in danger to give first aid. Do not touch the
person until power is shut off.
Heed warnings to avoid electrical hazards.