Antimony is probably only slightly toxic in human beings, though in rats it affects the heart and reduces the life span. We obtain antimony mainly from food and water, with some from the air. Other sources are pottery glazes and cooking utensils. The approximately 100 mcg. consumed daily is poorly absorbed, and most is eliminated in the feces and urine. Our body stores some in the liver, spleen, kidneys, blood, and hair. Antimony is really only of mild concern in humans.
Industrial antimony toxicity from gaseous stibine (SbH3) or ingestion of antimony materials is uncommon. High levels can cause acute symptoms of the gastrointestinal tract and cause damage to the kidneys, liver, and heart.