Serves 4 with a side dish such as salad or steamed vegetables
It can be somewhat of a problem getting children to eat food that
looks different, but zucchini with "chicken stripes" should not pose a
- 1 tsp coriander seeds,roasted and ground finely
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, roasted and ground finely
- 1 clove of garlic, minced finely
- 1 tsp ginger, grated finely
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 11 ounces (300 gr) chicken fillet, sliced very thinly
- 3 zucchinis about 4-5 inches (xx cm) long, sliced in half lengthwise
- brown rice vinegar
1) Combine the coriander seeds, fennel seeds, garlic, ginger,
extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper in a
food processor and pulse until the mixture is completely smooth.
2) Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a rolling
boil. Blanch the chicken slices for exactly 20 seconds, immediately
drain in a colander, and plunge into a large bowl of icecold water.
Leave the chicken slices in the cold water for at least 10 minutes
until they have cooled completely. Drain again. Mix in a bowl
together with the spicy oil, and store in the refrigerator.
3) Slice 6 or 7 triangular wedges out of the topside of each
piece of zucchini — diagonally — and rub the zucchinis with
olive oil. Eat the wedges as a snack or discard them.
4) Arrange the pieces of zucchini in a single layer in a large
oven-proof dish greased with a bit of olive oil. Fill the grooves
with marinated chicken slices. Put any leftover slices in the dish
next to the zucchini pieces.
5) Put the dish in a 550° F (270° C) hot oven for 7-8
minutes until the chicken slices are tender. Then turn off the heat
and leave the dish in the oven for another 3-4 minutes. The zucchinis
stay slightly firm. It is important to make sure the chicken
stripes are cooked through.
6) Sprinkle a bit of rice vinegar and tamari over the zucchini
pieces with "chicken stripes", and serve immediately while
Note: Measurements are provided in both U.S. and European/metric units.
This recipe particularly addresses the special diet considerations for:
Dairy-free; Gluten-free; Low Fat; Low Glycemic Index; Anti-cancer;
Cardiovascular Disease; Diabetes; Inflammatory Bowel Diseases