Serves 6 as a side dish.
Onions undergo a sort of magical metamorphosis when sauteed for a long
time at very low heat. Their natural sweetness is enhanced whereas
the pungent taste disappears. Whiz in a food processor to make the
most delicious cream that can be used as a spread or as an excellent
substitute for dairy products in sauces and soups. It can even be
used to make desserts. The onion cream will keep for 2-3 days in the
refrigerator when stored in a covered container.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) onions or shallots, diced finely
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1) Saute onions or shallots and a pinch of sea salt and freshly
ground black pepper in extra virgin olive oil for 40-45 minutes at
very low heat.
2) Transfer onions or shallots and juices from the pan to a
food processor and whiz until smooth.
Note: Measurements are provided in both U.S. and European/metric units.
This recipe particularly addresses the special diet considerations for:
Dairy-free; Gluten-free; Low Fat; Low Glycemic Index; Vegan; Vegetarian;
Anti-cancer; Cardiovascular Disease; Diabetes; Inflammatory Bowel