The following recipe addresses the special diet considerations for: dairy-free; gluten-free; vegan; vegetarian; anti-cancer; inflammatory bowel diseases
Using only apples, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, and unfiltered
cider vinegar, one can make excellent dairyfree fruit yogurt. It is
every bit as thick and creamy as real fruit yogurt, but contains no
saturated animal fats, milk protein, or chemical residues. Remember
to use organic goods.
It is best to eat the yogurt immediately
after preparing; it keeps no longer than 1 hour in the refrigerator in
a covered container. The flaxseed-cinnamon mixture oxidizes quite
quickly after being ground; it is best to make immediately before
The yogurt is by no means low-fat. However, it is an alternative to
real yogurt for those who cannot tolerate dairy products because of
allergies or lactose intolerance.
- 1 large firm cooking apple, such as Baldwin, Cortland, or Winesap
- 1 chilled ripe avocado, skin and pit removed
- 6-7 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- unfiltered cider vinegar
- 3 tbs flaxseed
- 1 stick of cinnamon
1) Remove seeds from apple. Keeping skin on, grate finely.
2) Combine the grated apple, chilled avocado, and extra virgin olive oil in a
food processor and process until smooth and add cider vinegar to
3) Grind flaxseed and cinnamon finely in a small
electric coffemill or food processor.
4) Pour the yogurt into a
bowl, sprinkle the flaxseed-cinnamon mixture on top, and serve