Company's coming for brunch and you need just the right dish to delight the senses. This Scottish flat bread sweetened with brown sugar is perfect and makes an ideal breakfast or brunch any season of the year. Serve it with your favorite jam, apple butter, or pumpkin butter, or enjoy the bannocks with a fresh fruit spread. Add some veggie sausage, fruit in season, a steaming cup of herbal tea, and enjoy an exceptional breakfast treat.
Yield: 6 servings
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 6 cups quick-cooking rolled oats, divided
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup currants or black raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground walnuts or pecans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and have ready a dry baking sheet. Combine 4 cups of the rolled oats with the brown sugar, currants, walnuts, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and allspice in a large bowl.
- Add boiling water and the canola oil and mix well. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the remaining rolled oats onto a smooth countertop or breadboard. Place the dough on top, and briefly knead the rolled oats into the dough for about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the remaining rolled oats on the countertop. Using a rolling pin, partially roll out the dough.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup rolled oats over the top of the dough and roll into a large square 1/4-inch thick.
- Using a dull knife or a spatula, cut the dough into 2-inch squares, rectangles, or irregular shapes and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Turn the squares over and bake another 6 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
About The Author
With a focus on healthy eating, compassion for animals, and environmental consciousness, her vegan journey led Zel Allen to partner with her husband, Reuben, to publish Vegetarians in Paradise. Their online publication is read by more than 125,000 visitors monthly http://www.vegparadise.com. In addition to her articles, the e-zine spotlights her humorous illustrations and her......more