| ||Naturopathic Medicine: Asthma Part 2||
How Can Homeopathy Help Asthma?
Like with Traditional Chinese Medicine, each individual is analyzed for their specific symptoms and an appropriate
therapy is chosen, not for the disease, but for the person displaying signs of health out of balance. This is a very
important distinction, and, very generally speaking, one of the main differences between conventional and
"complementary" approaches to health care. Please refer to the essay on Homeopathy in the Introduction to
After the homeopath, naturopath or medical doctor trained in homeopathy (they should have the title "Diplomat
of Homeopathy" after their other credentials) listen carefully to your story, one of the following remedies are likely to
- Aconitum napellus and Ipecacuanha are to be given alternately during attack; they will lessen the symptoms, will ease breathing, reduce cough.
- Alumina silicata is for breathing arrested by coughing with rattling in chest; difficult breathing from coughing.
- Ambra grisea is given in old people and children; dyspnea (difficulty breathing) with little exertion.
- Ambrosiais given to patients with fever due to ragweed pollen.
- Ammonium carbonicum for painful breathing; the patient is worse in warm room until suffocation is imminent; coughs from 2 to 5 a.m.
- Antimonium tartaricum for difficult breathing with suffocating cough, anxious oppression front chest from excessive phlegm; aged people, children; respiration is rapid, painful, noisy.
- Aralia racemosa for patients with lots of nasal discharge, with loud wheezing, or a whistling respiration which comes on lying down or at midnight; this patient may get asthma attacks after short sleep; the sputum is warm and salty; they cough because of a tickling in the throat and constriction of chest; the patient has to sit up to avoid choking.
- Arsenicum album is useful in acute and chronic cases with labored breathing, extreme agitation, moaning, restless, great exhaustion and anguish as if dying; the patient has a cold perspiration; breathing is worse when walking, going uphill of up stairs; asthma attacks occur at bedtime or during the first part of night; midnight aggravation associated with emphysema, hay asthma, or after trying to suppress an attack, for example with conventional drugs.
- Belladonna is the remedy given to patients with violent spasms of asthmatic breathing attended by constriction of the chest and a sense of constriction of throat; the patient feel as if he would suffocate; this is an antispasmodic remedy.
- Blatta ori is the remedy for painful breathing and thick purulent mucus
- Bryonia is for an obstruction of the breathing at night or toward morning, with frequent cough, pain under short ribs; the patient feel better lying on their back but feels worse when talking or making even the slightest movement; there may also be tracheal or bronchial irritation
- Chloralum is for wheezing respiration; when lying down the patient must inhale through their nose and exhale by blowing air out through pursed lips.
- Colocynthis is for asthma accompanied by indigestion and flatulence; the patient feels worse at the sea side; feels cold even in hot weather
- Dulcamara is for asthma brought on by wet weather or by living on wet basements
- Graphites for any kind of skin eruptions alternating with or coexisting with asthma
|A graduate of Bastyr University in Seattle, she completed both the Naturopathic and Acupuncture/Oriental Medicine programs. Her preceptor work (similar to residencies) took place in Seattle, West Virginia and China,......more