Join Now!      Login

Whole Person Wellness Program
 
healthy.net Wellness Model
Skip Navigation Links
 
 
FREE NEWSLETTER
   
   
   
 
Health Centers
Key Services
 
Walking?
Which of the following in NOT a direct benefit of a regular walking regimen?
Reduce Stress
Improved immune function
Achieving ideal weight.
Improved sugar metabolism

 
 
 Emergency & First Aid: Poisoning: First Aid for Poisoning - Emergency Conditions 
 

Poisoning

Poisons are harmful substances that are swallowed, inhaled, or that come in contact with the skin. Each year about 10 million poisonings occur; 80% of them are in children under five years old.



Signs & Symptoms

Signs and symptoms depend on the substance. They include a skin rash, upset stomach, and more severe problems. Some poisons can cause death.



Causes

Things Not Meant to Be Swallowed or Inhaled

  • Household cleaners, such as bleach, drain cleaners, ammonia, and lye.
  • Insecticides. Rat poison.
  • Gasoline. Antifreeze. Oil. Lighter fluid. Paint thinner.
  • Lead.
  • Airplane glue. Formaldehyde.
  • Rubbing alcohol. Iodine. Hair dye. Mouthwash. Mothballs.
  • Some indoor and outdoor plants.
  • Carbon monoxide. This has no color, odor, or taste.

  • Things That Are Poisonous in Harmful Amounts

  • Alcohol. Drugs. Over-the-counter and prescribed medicines.
  • Medicinal herbs.
  • Vitamins and minerals. Iron in these can be deadly to a small child.

  • See also Food Poisoning and Bites & Stings.


    Treatment

    Treatment depends on the poison and its effects. Information to give the Poison Control Center, emergency department, etc.:

  • The name of the substance taken.
  • The amount and when it was taken.
  • A list of ingredients on the label.
  • Age, gender, and weight of the person who took the poison. How the person is feeling and reacting. Any medical problems the person has.
  • Questions to Ask

    Is the person unconscious, having convulsions, or not breathing? {Note: See "First Aid For Unconsciousness"; "First Aid For Seizures with Convulsion"; and Rescue Breathing.}

    After being in a closed space with a heater or furnace on, are signs of carbon monoxide poisoning present?

  • Lethargy. Confusion. Agitation.
  • Sudden shortness of breath.
  • Severe headache. Abdominal pain.
  • Seizure.
  • Chest pain or irregular heartbeat.
  • Signs of shock.
  • Do any of these problems occur?

  • Pulse rate is 140 or more beats per minute or 40 or fewer beats per minute.
  • Shortness of breath. Breathing 10 or fewer breaths per minute. Time lapses of more than 8 seconds between breaths.
  • Any change in mental status.
  • Hallucinations.
  • (Note: First, call Poison Control Center 800.222.1222.)

    Has any substance been swallowed,inhaled, or absorbed by the skin that has "Harmful or fatal if swallowed" or a skull-and-crossbones sign on the label? Or, did the person take a substance that could be poisonous.

    (Note: First, call Poison Control Center 800.222.1222.)

    Self-Care / First Aid

    For Swallowed Poisons

  • 1.If the person is unconscious, shout for help. Call 9-1-1!
  • 2.For a conscious person, call the Poison Control Center (800.222.1222). Follow instructions. Do not give Syrup of Ipecac to induce vomiting unless the Poison Control Center tells you to. {Note: The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents don't give Syrup of Ipecac to children.}
  • 3.Lay the person on his or her left side to keep the windpipe clear, especially if the person vomited. Keep a sample of the vomit and the poison container.

  • For Inhaled Poisons

  • 1.Protect yourself. Move the person to fresh air (outdoors if you can). Try not to breathe the fumes yourself.
  • 2.Follow steps 1 and 2 above for Swallowed Poisons. Get medical care.

  • For Chemical Poisons on Skin

  • 1.Protect yourself. Flood the skin with water for 5 or more minutes. Remove clothing that was in contact with the person.
  • 2.Gently wash the skin with soap and water. Rinse well. Get medical care.


  • Prevention

  • Buy household products, vitamins, and medicines in child-resistant packaging. Keep these and all poisons out of children's reach.
  • Put child-resistant latches on cabinet doors. Follow instructions for use and storage of pesticides, household cleaners, and other poisons.
  • Keep products in original containers. Don't transfer them to soft drink bottles, plastic jugs, etc.
  • Teach children not to take medicine and vitamins unless an adult gives it to them. Don't call these "candy" in front of a child.
  • Wear protective clothing, masks, etc. when using chemicals that could cause harm if inhaled or absorbed by the skin.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and garage.
  • (Excerpted from Healthy Self: The Guide to Self-Care and Wise Consumerism)
     Comments Add your comment 

     About The Author
     
     From Our Friends
     

    Home       Wellness       Health A-Z       Alternative Therapies       Find a Practitioner       Healthy Products       Bookstore       Wellness Inventory
    Healthy Kitchen       Healthy Woman       Healthy Man       Healthy Child       Healthy Aging       Wellness Center       Nutrition Center       Fitness Center
    Free Newsletter      What Doctor's Don't Tell You      Stevia.com      Discount Lab Tests      First Aid      Global Health Calendar      Privacy Policy     Contact Us
    Disclaimer: The information provided on HealthWorld Online is for educational purposes only and IS NOT intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
    Are you ready to embark on a personal wellness journey with our whole person approach?
    Learn More/Subscribe
    Are you looking to create or enhance a culture of wellness in your organization?
    Learn More
    Do you want to become a wellness coach?
    Learn More
    Free Webinar