How many people each year suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death after a hospital visit?
| ||Herbal Materia Medica: Childhood Nausea ||
Nausea, feeling sick in the stomach without actually vomiting, is a common symptom in children. The cause must always be ascertained, possibilities covering as wide a range as infection, food problems, over excitability. Symptomatic relief is usually easy to achieve, as long as the child's' tastes are taken into account. The following suggestions are from Ms. Riggs, obviously someone who has tackled these problems and succeeded.
Sweet Basil Tea
2 oz. dried Basil leaves
1 qt. water
- Combine the Basil and water in a covered pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and steep the herb for 15 minutes. Strain out the herb and discard it. The resulting tea is light green in color and smells pleasantly of basil.
- Cool the tea to a comfortable temperature for drinking before serving. Store the remaining tea in the refrigerator and reheat with each use. Discard any unused tea after 4 days.
Application: Serve the tea as warm as the child can stand, since heat can also help relieve nausea. Let the child drink the tea freely until the nausea disappears, usually after 1 or 2 cups. The has a pleasant taste and does not need to be sweetened. If the nausea persists or grows worse, it may be a side effect of some other disorder. Consult with a physician for correct diagnosis and treatment.
Peppermint and Red Raspberry Syrup: To correct nausea due to flu, cold or bad food combination
1/2 oz. fresh or dried Peppermint leaves
1/2 oz. fresh or dried Red Raspberry leaves
1 1/2 lbs. brown sugar
2 cups water
- Combine the Peppermint and Raspberry leaves and the water in a covered pot. Simmer covered for 20 minutes, then strain and discard the herbs.
- Add the brown sugar to the clear tea and reheat until the sugar is melted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Cool the syrup to room temperature, then store in a tightly lidded, dark glass jar for future use. This syrup does not have to be refrigerated, but you should label and date the jar and keep it in a dark place such as a medicine cabinet. The syrup is dark brown in color and tastes delightful. Discard any unused portion of the syrup after 6 months.
Application: Give 1 tablespoon of the syrup to children complaining of nausea. They will enjoy the taste and usually feel better with 30 minutes. If the child still complains of nausea after 1 hour, give another tablespoon of the syrup. If there is no relief after the second dose, discontinue and try to determine the cause of the nausea. It could be a disorder such as gastroenteritis, food poisoning, flu, diarrhea or constipation. If a child has already vomited, a tablespoon of this syrup both settles the stomach and relaxes the child. Two or 3 tablespoons can be administered each week to a healthy child as a good tasting vitamin supplement. If the nausea persists for several hours, or if repeated vomiting occurs, or if a fever accompanies the nausea, consult a physician.
1/2 cup water
1/8 tsp. ground or grated Nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. honey
- Combine the water and Nutmeg in a covered pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mild and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. The beverage looks like watery milk with the ground herb floating on top and smells very pleasantly of Nutmeg.
- Cool the Nutmeg milk to tepid. Add the honey, stir and serve.
Application: Give 1 cup of warm Nutmeg milk to a child complaining of nausea. If the nausea persists for an hour after the first cup, you can give the child another cup, but make sure it is not too close to bedtime. Do not give more than 2 cups of the tea in 1 day. If the nausea persists for several hours, if repeated vomiting occurs, or if a fever accompanies the nausea, consult a physician.
|Whilst working in conservation and lecturing in ecology and the eco-crisis for the University of Wales, David Hoffman became convinced that to heal the world, to embrace planetary wholeness and responsibility for it......more