The following recipe addresses the special diet considerations for: cancer, cardiovascular disease,
diabetes, low fat, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
Try to avoid farmed salmon and go for the wild variety. Farmed salmon has a different and slightly less healthy fatty acid profile and the flesh is not as firm as from wild salmon.
- 4 large sweet potatoes (approx. 3 lbs/1.5 kg)
- 4 large beets (approx. 2 lbs/1 kg)
- sea salt
- 4 leeks, cleaned and sliced finely
- four 9 oz (250 gr) pieces of freshly filleted salmon with the skin still on
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil or coldpressed, unrefined flax oil
- 3 cardamom pods, roasted and the seeds ground finely
- 1 stick of cinnamon, roasted and ground finely
- 1 tsp of dried red chili flakes, roasted and ground finely
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 preseved lemon rind + 1 tbs of the vinegar from the rinds or the juice and freshly grated rind of 1 organic lemon
1) Scrub sweet potatoes and beets but leave the skin on, place in a shallow baking dish, and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 1 1/4-1/2 hours in a 400° F (200° C) hot oven.
2) Meanwhile, bring a 1 gallon pot half filled with water to a boil and add the finely sliced leeks. Leave for two minutes and then drain in a colander. Immediately plunge the drained leeks into a bowl of ice cold water and leave for 10 minutes until completely cooled. Then drain again and keep in the refrigerator until served.
3) Right before removing the sweet potatoes and beets from the oven, bring a half-filled pot of water to a boil.
4) Remove sweet potatoes and beets from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes until cool enough to handle.
5) Once the water boils, take the pot off the heat and add the pieces of salmon to the simmering water. Leave in the pot with lid kept on for 6-8 minutes until just cooked through. Then remove immediately, leave in an uncovered dish for 5 minutes before covering with foil or a lid, to keep warm.
6) Peel beets and potatoes and dice roughly. Mix with oil, cardamom, cinnamon, and lemon rind plus juice (or freshly pressed lemon juice and grated lemon rind) and leave to marinate for 5 minutes.
7) Divide salmon and baked beets and sweet potatoes on four plates and top off with chilled blanched leeks. Serve and enjoy.
Note: Measurements are provided in both U.S. and European/metric units.