|Be sure to make one for your spouse/partner/roommate, too. People who reek of garlic together, are not bothered at all by it.
Chop 1 bulb of garlic. Lightly toast two slices of bread (rye is very tasty). Put one piece of toast in the middle of a piece of aluminum foil. Put a slice of cheese (like Jack, muenster, cheddar) on that piece of toast. Add half of the garlic. Put another slice of cheese over that. Then add the other half of the garlic. Top with another slice of cheese. Now top it all with the other piece of toast. Wrap the whole thing in foil and bake at 375 until the cheese is quite melted (about 15 minutes). You don''''t have to wrap it in foil, that just helps so the toast doesn''''t get too toasted. The garlic should not be cooked all the way. The cheese helps take the bite out of the garlic. This is a lot of cheese, but somehow all that garlic balances it out!
For variations on this sandwich:
- Add a slice or two of tomato and a few leaves of fresh basil.
- Add 1-2 tsp. minced fresh gingerroot to garlic.
- Add 1 finely chopped serrano or jalapeno chili to garlic.
- Add 1 thin slice of onion to each layer of garlic.
- On first piece of toast, instead of cheese, spread with pesto or sun-dried tomato/olive tampenade.