Dr. Carolyn Dean is a medical doctor and naturopathic doctor. She is a writer, researcher, and health advocate. Here most recent book is Death by Modern Medicine written with Trueman Tucks. She is a health advisor to yeastconnection.com and curesnaturally.com. Her website is carolyndean.com.
The Miracle of Magnesium is written for both the lay public and practitioners. It is packed with hundreds of journal references that will convince doctors of the importance of magnesium and its efficacy in dozens of conditions—before reaching for the prescription pad.
This article originally appeared at www.mercola.com in 2004.
Blood Ionized Magnesium Test
Drs. Bella and Burton Altura. State University of New York, Health Science Center at Brooklyn, New York, New York 11203, USA. (718) 270-2194 or (718) 270-2205.
Intracellular Magnesium Test
Dr. Burton Silver at www.exatest.com
1. Woods KL, et al, The Second Leicester Intravenous Magnesium Intervention Trial (LIMIT-2) Intravenous magnesium sulfate in suspected acute myocardial infarction: results of the second Leicester Intravenous Magnesium Intervention Trial (LIMIT-2). Lancet, vol 339, pp 1553-1558, 1992.
2. Woods K.L., Fletcher S, "Long-term outcome after intravenous magnesium sulphate in suspected acute myocardial infarction : the second Leicester Intravenous Magnesium Intervention Trial (LIMIT-2),"Lancet, vol 343, pp 816-819, 1994
3. Ravn HB. Pharmacological effects of magnesium on arterial thrombosis--mechanisms of action? Magnes Research, vol 12, no 3, pp 191-9, 1999
4. Young IS, et al, "Magnesium status and digoxin toxicity." Br J Clin Pharmacol, vol 32, no 6, pp 717-21, 1991
5. Lewis R, et al, "Magnesium deficiency may be an important determinant of ventricular ectopy in digitalised patients with chronic atrial fibrillation.": Br J Clin Pharmacol, vol 31, no 2, pp 200-3, 1991
6. ISIS-4 (Fourth International Study of Infarct Survival) Collaborative Group: ISIS-4: a randomised factorial trial assessing early oral captopril, oral mononitrate, and intravenous magnesium sulphate in 58,050 patients with suspected acute myocardial infarction. Lancet, vol 345, pp 669-685, 1995
7. Seelig MS, "Cardiovascular Reactions to Stress Intensified by Magnesium Deficit in Consequences of Magnesium Deficiency on the Enhancement of Stress Reactions; Preventive and Therapeutic Implications: A Review." Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol 13, no 5, pp 429-446, 1994.
8. Altura BM, Altura BT. "Role of magnesium in patho-physiological processes and the clinical utility of magnesium ion selective electrodes." Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl, vol 224, pp 211-34, 1996
9. Altura BT, Altura BM, "A method for distinguishing ionized, complexed and protein-bound Mg in normal and diseased subjects." Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl, vol 217, pp 83-7, 1994
10. Altura BT, et al, "Comparative findings on serum IMg2+ of normal and diseased human subjects with the NOVA and KONE ISE's for Mg2+." Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl, vol 217, pp 77-81, 1994
11. Altura BT, et al, "Characterization of a new ion selective electrode for ionized magnesium in whole blood, plasma, serum, and aqueous samples." Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl, vol 217, pp 21-36, 1994
12. Altura BT, et al, "A new method for the rapid determination of ionized Mg2+ in whole blood, serum and plasma." Exp Clin Pharmacol, vol 4, pp 297-304, 1996
13. Altura BT, Altura BM, "Measurement of ionized magnesium in whole blood, plasma and serum with a new ion-selective electrode in healthy and diseased human subjects." Magnes Trace Elem, vol 10, no 2-4, pp 90-8, 1991-1992
14. Altura BT, Altura BM, "A method for distinguishing ionized, complexed and protein-bound Mg in normal and diseased subjects." Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl, vol 217, pp 83-7, 1994
15. Altura BM, Altura BT. "Role of magnesium in patho-physiological processes and the clinical utility of magnesium ion selective electrodes." Scand J Clin Lab Invest Suppl, vol Vol 224, pp 211-34, 1996
16. Karppanen, H.; Neuvonen, P.J. Ischaemic heart-disease and soil magnesium in Finland; water hardness and magnesium in heart muscle. The Lancet. Dec 15, 1973
17. Tunstall-Pedoe H, Kuulasmaa K, Mahonen M, Tolonen H, Ruokokoski E, Amouyel P. Contribution of trends in survival and coronary-event rates to changes in coronary heart disease mortality: 10-year results from 37 WHO MONICA project populations. Monitoring trends and determinants in cardiovascular disease. Lancet. 1999 May 8;353(9164):1547-57
18. Eades M, Eades A, The Protein Power Lifeplan, Warner Books, New York, 1999