Wayne L. Westcott, Ph.D., is fitness research director at the South Shore YMCA in Quincy, MA. and author of the new Nautilus book, Building Strength and Stamina.
1. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Exercise During Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period. ACOG Technical Bulletin #189. Washington, DC: ACOG, 1994.
2. Artal, R. D.I. Masaki, N. Khodiguian, Y. Romem, S.E. Rutherfod, and RA. Wiswell. Exercise prescription in pregnancy: Weightbearing vs. non-weight bearing exercise. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol 161:1464-1469. 1989.
3. Artal Mittelmark, R. RA. Wiswell, and B.L. Drinkwater, eds. Exercise in Pregnancy (2nd ed.). Baltimore: Williams&Wilkins, 1991.
4. Artal, R. R Wiswell, Y. Romem, and F. Dorey. Pulmonary responses to exercise in pregnancy. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol 154:378-383. 1986.
5. Clapp, J.F. III, and S. Dickstein. Endurance exercise and pregnancy outcome. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 16:556-562. 1984.
6. Clark, S.L, D.B. Cotton, J.M. Pivarnik, W. Lee, G.D.V. Hankins, T.J. Benedetti, et al. Position change and central hemodynamic profile during normal third-trimester pregnancy and post partum. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 164:883-887. 1991.
7. Collings, C.A., L.B. Curet, and J.P. Mullin. Maternal and fetal responses to a maternal aerobic exercise program. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol 145:702-707. 1983.
8. McMurray, R.G., A. C. Hackney, V.L. Katz, M. Gall, and W.J. Watson. Pregnancy-induced changes in the maximal physiological responses during swimming. J. Appl. Physiol. 71:1454-1459. 1991.
9. Pivarnik, J.M., W. Lee, S.L. Clark, D.B. Cotton, H.T. Spillman, and J.F. Miller. Cardiac output responses of primigravid women during exercise determined by the direct Fick technique. Obstet Gynecol 75:954-959.1990.