I hope I've inspired you to be more fierce about asserting your energy needs. Never put yourself down as being "overly sensitive." Sensitivity is an asset as long as you learn how to protect yourself from negative vibes. Understanding how you react energetically in the world is particularly important if you’re chronically tired and want to build vitality. Knowledge is power. Meeting your energy needs can balance mind, body, and spirit to create a vibrant life.
How do you know if you’re an empath? What are the signs?
Quiz: Are You an Intuitive Empath?
- Have you ever sat next to someone at a dinner who seems pleasant, but suddenly you're nauseous, have a headache, or feel drained?
- Are you uncomfortable in crowds, even go out of your way to avoid them?
- Do you get easily over-stimulated by people or prefer being alone?
- When someone is in pain, do you start feeling it too ?
- Do I overeat around people I’m uncomfortable with?
If you've answered "yes" to one or more questions, it's likely you have experienced intuitive empathy. Responding "yes" to every question indicates empathy is draining your energy.
Dr. Orloff’s Tips for Keeping Your Positive Energy High
- In crowds or stressful situations take a few deep breaths to exhale negative energy from your body
- Meditate daily to center yourself—visualize roots going through you and planting firmly in the ground
- Take daily baths or showers to wash off negative vibes. Water is a potent purifier and can get rid of the slimiest of energies.
- Burn sage in a room to purify left over negative vibes. Sage is an ancient purifier. (Many of my patients who work in the entertainment industry use this technique to clear the energy in the room after back-to-back pitch meetings in their office.)
- Eliminate energy vampires from your life
Judith Orloff, M.D. is a board-certified psychiatrist and a medical intuitive. This article is adapted from her newest book, Positive Energy: Ten Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength and Love (Harmony Books). She's also written the bestsellers Guide to Intuitive Healing and Second Sight. Dr. Orloff is an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA and an international workshop leader. For more information on Dr. Orloff's workshops and national book tour schedule visit www.drjudithorloff.com.