| ||10 Tips on Losing Weight – Now! ||
- Eat a balanced diet of wholesome foods, focusing on high-nutrient and low-calorie foods--vegetables and whole grains, legumes, and some fresh fruits.
- Avoid Overeating and don't eat much after nightfall.
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. Meaning, consume most of your fuel early in the day so that you will utilize it in your daily activities.
- Drink plenty (8-12 glasses) of filtered or spring water daily, particularly first thing in the morning and then 30 to 60 minutes before meals to satiate your body and minimize your appetite.
- Exercise regularly – at least one hour daily – including stretching and strengthening exercises along with 30 to 45 minutes of aerobic activity at least four times a week.
- Avoid high-fat, processed, and high-calorie foods, such as candy, cookies and cakes, sodas, chips, cheese, and meats, especially lunch meats.
- Take time to eat. Eat and chew slowly and thoroughly, satisfying yourself with each mouthful; pay attention to eating when you're consuming food.
- Be loving and forgiving with yourself both for any weight problems and for whenever you vary from your diet plan. Get back on track quickly and focus on low-fat, low-calorie, wholesome foods.
- Realize that your weight has many genetic and emotional factors and triggers involved, and you may need support to help you really change your bad habits.
- The ultimate process for weight loss is the long, slow one that involves you changing your diet for life – rather than going on a diet – to create the body, health and the appropriate weight for you.
|Elson M. Haas, MD is founder & Director of the Preventive Medical Center of Marin (since 1984), an Integrated Health Care Facility in San Rafael, CA and author of many books on Health and Nutrition, including ...more||