| ||10 Tips for Healthy Detoxification ||
- Follow a non-toxic lifestyle – eat wholesome, natural foods, drink good water, exercise regularly, and avoid junk foods and additives--to minimize the need to detoxify.
- If you feel toxic or congested--from aches and pains, allergies and sinus congestion, sluggish digestion, or skin rashes – you might consider a detoxification program as outlined in The Detox Diet.
- If you have habits to any SNACCs (Sugar, Nicotine, Alcohol, Caffeine, or Chemicals) take a break occasionally to evaluate how you really feel. These short breaks can give you a new perspective. Is your habit an easy pleasure or is your body paying a price?
- Detox in a way that feels right to you – through a combination of diet changes, juice cleansing, and supplements. Challenge yourself a little, but avoid the attitude, "No pain, no gain." The idea is to take extra good care of yourself.
- Create the time and space to detoxify successfully. You may want to do a weekend fast. In this New Year, you might also consider a 7-10 day Spring Cleanse. In either case, starting on Friday gives you the weekend to transition in and out of your program.
- My favorite cleanses are:
- The Master Cleanser (a lemonade diet described in my SpringCleansing article).
- Fresh vegetable juices, and broths, with added Spirulina or other algaes.
- The Detox Diet, a very smooth and easy way to take a needed cleansing break.
- Plan to include regular exercise in your life and create a balanced schedule of activity and rest, work and play. Take the opportunity to be outside – walking in the trees, by the ocean or a river. In the city, watch the sky to stay connected to Nature. Don't forget to relate to flowers, birds, and other natural life forms.
- Do saunas, sweats, showers, and skin brushing to help detoxify. Drink plenty of good quality spring water or filtered water (8-10 glasses a day).
- Make sure you keep your digestive track cleansed. Have a bowel movement at least once or twice daily – using fibers, herbs, salt water flushes, enemas, or colon hydrotherapy – so necessary for experiencing healthy cleansing. This is a very personal issue but necessary for experiencing vibrant health.
- Be positive – drop at least one old habit this month. Even a change as simple as giving up wheat or dairy products, sugar or caffeine, could make a big difference in your health.
You can be successful in improving your health and vitality!
|Elson M. Haas, MD is founder & Director of the Preventive Medical Center of Marin (since 1984), an Integrated Health Care Facility in San Rafael, CA and author of many books on Health and Nutrition, including ...more||