We are faced with many nutritionally challenging situations everyday: pollution, emotional and physical stress, cigarette smoke. Weight loss, especially when rigorous, is one more. Fortunately, we now know that your ideal weight can be achieved through healthful eating and exercise. Don't hesitate using a balanced nutritional supplement while making lifestyle changes. While losing pounds, just don't lose sight of your ultimate goal: wholesome foods, a physically active life and realistic body image.
- Fisher MC, Lachance PA. Nutrition evaluation of published weight-reducing diets. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 1985;85(4):450-54.
- Lissner L, Odell PM, D'Agostino RB et al. Variability of body weight and health outcomes in the Framingham population. New England Journal of Medicine 1991;324:1839-44.
- Karklin A, Driver HS, Buffenstein R. Restricted energy intake affects nocturnal body temperature and sleep patterns. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1994;59:346-49.
- Horton TJ, Geissler CA. Effect of habitual exercise on daily energy expenditure and metabolic rate during standardized activity. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1994;59:13,19.
- Bulbian R, Grunewal KK, Haack RR. Effect of exercise duration on feed intake and body composition of Swiss albino mice. Journal of Applied Physiology 1985;58(2):500-505.
- Pena-Cruz V,Bronson RT, Reiss CS, McIntosh K. Altered histopathology in protein-deprived mice during Sendai virus pneumonia: evidence for delayed inflammatory response and recovery. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 1992;165:846-51.
- Wofe RR, Goodenough RD, Wofe MH. Isotopic approaches to the estimation of protein requirements in burn patients. Advanced Shock Research 1983;9:81-98.
- Pollak D et al. The effect of protein malnutrition and nutritional support on the mechanical properties of fracture healing in the injured rat. Journal of Parenteral Enteral Nutrition 1986;10(6):564-67.
- Lamberg-Allardt C, Karkkainen M, Seppanen R, Bistrom H. Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and secondary hyperparathyroidism in middle-aged white strict vegetarians. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1993;58:684-89.