| ||Herbal Medicine: The Common Cold||
Nutrients - Adding extra Vitamin A or Beta carotene, Zinc, and Vitamin C during the cold/flu season will most certainly help to protect against infection.
Herbs - Astragalus is a great toning herb which can be used to build your immune system when you are healthy -- proactive medicine!
Rest - Crucial for regeneration
Positive thoughts - It helps!
NOTE: If you experience any of the following along with what you believe to be a cold, please consult with your physician:
- Fever that continues above 101 degrees for more than 72 hours
- Secondary infections of the lungs, ears or sinuses
- Any sputum that continues to be green or bloody
- Continued difficulty swallowing
- Wheezing or continued shortness of breath
Janet Zand, OMD, L. Ac., is a respected naturopathic physician who lives and practices in the Los Angeles area. She has developed a unique and effective method of combining herbal medicine with nutrition, homeopathy and acupuncture. Her credentials include a Doctor of Naturopathy, Doctor of Oriental Medicine, and Certified Acupuncturist. Dr. Zand has over fifteen years of clinical experience treating with natural medicine, as well as having formulated her own line of herbal supplements.
- "Finally Getting Their Scientific Due: Common Colds," Thomas, Patricia, Medical World News, April 1991; 24-30.
- "Psychological Stress and Susceptibility to the Common Cold", Cohen, Sheldon, Ph.D., et al, New England Journal of Medicine, August 29, 1991; 325(9):606-612.
|JANET ZAND, O.M.D., L.Ac. is a nationally respected author, lecturer, practitioner and herbal products formulator whose work has helped thousands of people achieve better health....more