| ||Herbal Medicine: Prostatitis||
Infection of the Prostate Gland.
A number of symptoms are found including an aching pain in the area of the prostate, pressure will be painful such that sitting may hurt, there isdysuria, nocturia, dribbling etc., hematuria may occur. Acute cases may be accompanied with fever.
Actions indicated for the processes behind this disease :
Anti-microbials that work well in the urinary system are fundamental to achieving success. Examples include Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, Barosmabetulina, Agropyron repens.
Prostate tonics must be used as in benign prostatic enlargement. Examples include Sabal serrenoa, Hydrangea arborescens. Herbsthat might also fulfill such a role include Turnera diffusa andSmilax spp..
Diuretics will help the bladder and kidney void the urine, however they may be contra-indicated where there is marked blockage due to prostate swelling.
Demulcents that soothe the urinary system (demulcent diuretics) willhelp alleviate some of the symptom picture.
Specific Remedies :
A couple of plants have well deserved reputations for prostate problems in the western traditions, Sabal serrenoa and Hydrangea arborescens, although not for prostatitis as such. Some seeds have been shown to help the prostate, including Pumpkin, Poppy, Sunflower and Sesame seeds.
One possible prescription :
Zea mays equal parts to 5ml of tincture 3 times a day
Achillea millefolium equal parts of dried herb as infusion drunk throughout the day
Actions supplied by this combination :
- Anti-microbial (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, Agropyron repens, Barosma betulina, Echinacea spp., Achillea millefolium)
- Prostate tonic (Sabal serrenoa)
- Diuretic (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, Agropyron repens, Barosmabetulina, Zea mays, Achillea millefolium)
- Demulcent (Agropyron repens, Zea mays)
Broader Context of Treatment :
James Green, in `Herbs & Health Care for Males', suggests addressingthese factors:
- Relaxation of musculature in the region. This is best achieved thru stress management and relaxation techniques, but may also indicated relaxing nervines.
- Drink plenty of pure water & chew up to 1/2 cups of Pumpkin seeds(Cucurbita pepo) daily.
- The following supplements are recommended :
Vitamin E 800 I.U. daily
Calcium/magnesium combination 400-600 mg daily
Zinc picolinate 20-50 mg daily
|Whilst working in conservation and lecturing in ecology and the eco-crisis for the University of Wales, David Hoffman became convinced that to heal the world, to embrace planetary wholeness and responsibility for it......more