Poison Ivy (Oak, Sumac)
Poison ivy, oak, and sumac are the most common plants that cause a skin rash. A sap that comes from these plants causes the rash. The sap is not really a poison, but can cause an allergic reaction in some people.
Signs & Symptoms
The skin rash comes a day or two after contact with the plant. Symptoms that follow can range from mild to severe.
You can get poison ivy, oak, or sumac when you touch one of these plants or pets, clothes, shoes, etc. that have the sap on them. Contact with the smoke of these burning plants can also cause a rash.
Self-care treats most cases of poison ivy, oak, and sumac. For severe cases, your doctor may prescribe medicine(s).
Questions to Ask
After contact with poison ivy, oak, or sumac, do you have any of these problems?
Self-Care / Prevention
To Prevent Getting a Rash
Avoid contact with poison ivy, oak, and sumac.
To Treat Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac