Are there any Nutritional Supplements to Help the Diabetic?
Many nutritional supplements have been demonstrated as effective in helping to correct and improving the diabetic condition. The following are nutritional supplements to consider in a program:
What About Exercise?
Both types of diabetes can be fought using a regular, moderate exercise program. There is a clearly demonstrated effect of aerobic activities, including brisk walking, running, cycling, and swimming, on blood sugar levels. Improved glucose uptake by the exercising muscles occurs and lasts for up to 72 hours. Many diabetics who exercise regularly are able to decrease their medication. Exercise programs also have been shown to improve the blood lipid profile and help control blood pressure. However, you are urged to carefully monitor your blood sugar during this time to avoid overdoses of insulin.
- B Complex
- Trace mineral complexes including calcium, magnesium, zinc, and manganese
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Beta Carotene (Vitamin A) and Vitamin D
General Guidelines for the Person with Diabetes?
* NOTE: Goldenseal should not be taken by itself for more than seven consecutive days.
- Avoid overeating.
- Emphasis should be on whole foods.
- Avoid excessive emotional stress.
- Avoid soft water. Diabetes is higher in soft water areas. Diabetics should drink natural, non-carbonated mineral or spring water which contains naturally occurring trace minerals. Clinical studies have shown that a good supply of trace minerals are important for effective glucose tolerance and utilization.
- Get lots of exercise! Aside from dietary restrictions, exercise and strong physical labor will help to diminish the need for insulin.
Janet Zand, OMD, L. Ac., is a respected naturopathic physician who lives and practices in the Los Angeles area. She has developed a unique and effective method of combining herbal medicine with nutrition, homeopathy and acupuncture. Her credentials include a Doctor of Naturopathy, Doctor of Oriental Medicine, and Certified Acupuncturist. Dr. Zand has over fifteen years of clinical experience treating with natural medicine, as well as formulating her own line of herbal supplements.