* Saturated and trans fats in the diet can lead to obesity, and can also harbour cancer-promoting chemicals like pesticides, industrial chemicals and foreign oestrogens.
* Overcooked meats, especially barbecued and chargrilled, contain cancer-causing nitrogen-containing compounds (amines) that are linked to cancer of the breast, pancreas, colon and prostate.
* Nitrates and nitrites, found in cured meats, are linked to stomach cancer.
* Hormone replacement drugs, including the Pill, can lead to cancer of the endometrium (lining of the womb) and breast.
* Alcohol in excess may raise the risk of cancer of the mouth, larynx, throat, breast, oesophagus, liver or colon.
* Cigarette smoke, including passive smoke, increases your risk of lung cancer.
* Obesity is a risk factor for endometrial, breast, kidney or prostate cancer. There is also a link with colon, rectal and gallbladder cancers.